What to wear to Summer Weddings: Your Questions Answered - Sensible Stylista

What to wear to Summer Weddings: Your Questions Answered

I've been getting questions regarding summer wedding dress attire so I decided to write a post on the topic (featuring some of your questions) rather than email everyone back individually. I'm going to keep things simple for today's blast because the last thing I want to do is overwhelm you guys with rules.  Dressing up should be fun so let's try and keep it that way!
"What should I wear?"  

It all depends on the wedding! What's the dress code (ie. white tie, black tie, etc.)? Where's the wedding going to take place (ie. church, beach, someone's house, etc.)? What time do the festivities start? These are all factors you need to take into consideration!  For example, if your friend's having her wedding outside, you're going to want something airy to keep you somewhat cool in the sweltering heat.  If your buddy's having his in a church, you won't want to bare all for two reasons; a. it's a more conservative setting (obviously) and b. you don't want to upstage the bride.  

IMHO, the "safest" bet is a cocktail dress that hits you below the knees (like the midi dress I'm wearing).  You'll be able to re-wear this for all different kinds of weddings so it's the most practical option if you're looking to save money and only purchase one outfit.

"I don't want to spend a lot of money.  Where can I find something affordable?"

I actually wrote a post on SS a while back on dresses and where I purchase them for less.  That should give you all the information you need, but in a nutshell, I recommend Forever 21, Last Call Neiman Marcus, and TJ maxx amongst others.  Also, here are some cute designs I recommend (all under $50).
"Is it ok if I wear black?"

Absolutely - the only color you should NOT wear is white (or any variation of it, ha)!  With that said, I think pastels and florals are beautiful options for summer weddings.  Don't be afraid to experiment with color...as long as it's not obnoxiously bright. Please, please, PLEASE do not show up in hot pink from head-to-toe - like I mentioned before, you don't want to steal the bride's thunder.  It's her day so you want to make sure she's the star of the show!

"Do I have to wear a dress if it's black tie?"

That's a great question!  Black tie's not as formal as white tie, but most women still sport floor length gowns for the occasion.  There ARE ways to avoid it though if you're not a fan of dresses.  Jumpsuits and pantsuits make great alternatives.  Throw in some killer jewelry, and you're good to go!

"I hate walking around in heels.  Can you recommend dressy shoes that are comfortable?"

I recommend wedges.  They're obviously not as fancy as stilettos, but they're dressy enough.  I actually wore a pair as my cousin's maid of honor years ago because I knew I'd be running around all day long, and it was such a good call.  Embellished flats or sandals also work - just make sure they're dressy and save your flip flops for the beach.


Here's an outfit I recently wore to a friend's wedding in PA.  As much as I love looking cute, being comfortable is my first and foremost concern - I truly believe that if you feel self-conscious, you'll look it.  So, I went with an adorable midi dress from ASOS.  I've put on a little weight these last few weeks so the A-line silhouette is currently my best frand.  

I don't usually like strapless pieces because they pinch my arm fat, but this dress was surprisingly flattering.  Plus, I have a weakness for all things girly so the bow totally sealed the deal for me - I even have a board dedicated to bows on pinterest, #sorrynotsorry. Ha!  To finish things off, I accessorized with a fun clutch for a pop of personality and threw on Valentino-inspired heels to match.  Anywho, I hope you guys found this post helpful!  If you have any additional questions, feel free to email me and ask.  I'm not than happy to play stylist for you all.  
Dress:  ASOS || Heels:  Qupid || Clutch:  Aldo
 Photos shot by the wonderful Sung Shin.

5 comments

  1. Nice picture totally Loving your outfit
    Regards
    Walkindiscount.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips and tricks! I'll definitely keep these things in mind for future weddings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such great tips girl!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete